Sunday, December 16, 2007

One of the reasons I love Christmas....

Because sooooo many people celebrate it.
People who would never, in a million years, admit that there is a God, nevertheless celebrate His birth regularly.

It's really kind of mind-boggling how widespread it is, how far across the world it reaches. Especially if you stop and try to think of which other religion's major holidays are almost universally celebrated....wait....?
Even in this politically correct era of "Happy Holidays" and "Family Trees," the truth of the matter is, the vast vast vast majority celebrate Christmas.

Santa Clause himself, for all his flaws, flies in the face of atheism. As do all the other Hallmark-esqu trappings...I mean sure, "we" are more interested in the lights, the tree, the mistletoe and the presents then we are in the Nativity. BUT....even those trappings nonetheless pay some of their tribute all the way back to a Birthday.

And I love that. I love that, as secular as we've made the holiday, as careful as we are not to mention the word "God," the bottom line is that in the name of tradition, Christmas carols with words like this get sung by people who wouldn't touch a hymnal:

"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
'til He appeared, and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn."

"The soul felt its worth" "A thrill of hope" .....

No, this is not me trying to be some sort of superior 'Christian' -- no competitiveness, not trying to 'put down' other religions. That's not the point of Christianity. The moment someone thinks they're 'better' because they're saved -- well, they should probably double-check whether or not they are actually saved. We are to be the most humble, because we know how much we've been forgiven.

I'm just excited to see my God praised so extensively, even by a world that's forgotten Him, even when they don't know they're doing it.

2 comments:

herewegoagain said...

I love that hymn. And you are soooo right about all things CHRISTmas. It's all about Him. Amazing love, that thou my God shouldst die for me....

But, because I can't resist...I do love your oh-so-very-because-you-are-in-law-school spelling of "Clause" as in Santa. He's actually a Claus, but then again, you have been studying a LOT of clauses lately. (This from a mom who misspelled "medieval" recently).

Love you!

Anonymous said...

HEY AMY COOL BLOG!!!! THis is alex your little cousin love ya! look at my blog sometime will ya? lol